FAQ - China visa

Question: What documents do I need for entering China?

You will at least need a passport valid more than 6 months from the departure date, and a visa. Visa is requigreen for Americans and most other nationalities. For a group of more than 6 people, you can apply for group visas. For traveling to Tibet and other restricted areas, you also need a travel permit.

Question: Do I need a visa to visit China?

Yes. You may apply for the appropriate visa or entry permit from the nearest Chinese diplomatic and consular mission.   L type of visa is required (L is for Luyou, means visa for tourist).   "L" Visa is issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing or visiting family members/friends.    More details for "L" visa...

The only exception is if you are holding a valid passport from Japan, Brunei, or Singapore and will be visiting China for less than 15 days without a visa.

Chinese Embassies

Chinese Consulates General

Question: How can I get a visa in United State?

Visas for leisure travel to China are quite easy to get, usually granted for a one month's stay. You can contact China National Tourist Office in New York or Los Angeles. Your travel agent or visa services can also help you, or it can also be obtained from Chinese embassies or consulates. In the North America, you can contact Chinese Embassies in Washington DC and Ottawa, or the Consulates in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Chicago, Houston, New York, Vancouver, Toronto.

US citizens can stay in Hong Kong without a visa for up to 30 days. For other passport holders, please inquire with your nearest PRC embassies or consulates.

A tourist visa requires a Visa Application Form, a passport-size photo and a fee depending on visa types. It takes about seven business days for an application to be processed. For Tibet, the Chinese Embassy must get approval from the Tibet Tourism Administration before issuing a visa.

Chinese Embassy in United States

Question: What kind of visa do I need ?

Most people only need to apply for a single -entry visa, Tourist Visa (L Visa), which is usually valid for 3 months after the issuing date and will permit you to stay in China for a maximum of 30 days.

More details of single -entry visa for tourist ("L" Visa)

Question: How many types of visa can I apply?

The following types of visa are issued for people to visit China for different purposes.

Types of visa:
Tourist Visa (L)
Business Visit (F)
Employment/Work (Z)
Study (X)
Transit (G)
Tourist Group Visa

More informations of visa types

Question: For our visas, do we need something from you stating we are traveling with your tour company?

In some cases, our statement is not a necessity but if required, Sinoway Travel will be delightful to provide you an official visa invitation letter, which shows we are the agent arranging your China vacation for you.

Question: What is a Visa Inviation Letter?

In some of the countries, the visa office of China Embassy or Consulate might ask for a Visa Inviation Letter, usually issued by a travel agent in China. If you consider to choose us as your tour operator in China, and ask us to issue this invitation letter for your visa, we need following information:

1). The date of your entering China
2). How many days you plan to stay in China
3). Cities that you plan to visit
4). Name (must be the same as those on your passport)
5). Gender
6). Date of birth
7). Passport Number
8). Passport expiration date
9). Occupation
10).Telephone- fax number and your email address
11).Your address.

Question: Do I need a visa for a visit to Hong Kong?

Passport holders of certain countries or holding certain passports DO NOT need a visa during the specified visa-free period.

Check more details at: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm#part2

Travelers who are not from those countries or those who want to stay longer need to apply for the appropriate visa or entry permit from the nearest Chinese Embassy.

As an alternative, you may submit your visa or entry permit application to the HKSAR Immigration Department either directly by post or through a local sponsor.